Thursday, January 3, 2013

Celebrate! We Survived the First Fiscal Cliff of 2013. A Recipe for What?

Happy New Year everybody! At the close of 2012, the world didn’t end per: modern misinterpretations of the Mayan Calendar. We didn’t drown as we careened over the “fiscal cliff” either. I don’t know about any of you, but I wish the news media would declare a moratorium on the use of all incendiary phrases to describe phenomena and events in our political realm, especially since we’re going to have to go over a lot more of them together in the year ahead regardless of what we call them.

What do you envision at the mention of “going over a fiscal cliff”? I visualize a free fall from a height like the Grand Canyon resulting inevitably in mass death. The emotions that this image evokes make rational national discussion difficult if not impossible to have. Added to the already emotionally charged tenor of national debate, I feel that we already went over the rhetorical cliff a long time ago.

While we’re at it, who coined the phrase “job creators”? I think of the many professional athletes and show business personalities whose incomes are in the millions who employ no one. What jobs are they creating? This phrase may sound catchy to some Republicans, but I wish that in the new year 2013, they would stop using it just to show some good faith. After all, we’re all Americans and we have to figure this budget thing out together.

On a personal note, I have to say that 2012 was a pretty good year for me and my family and I want to wish everyone a happy, healthy, fulfilling 2013. To start the year on a positive note, we invited some friends to celebrate New Year’s Day. Here is an easy recipe that I made.              

 

                   Feta Cheese/Spinach Rolls


 
For the dough, I usually cheat by using crescent rolls or something equivalent. I use 3 packages to make about 36 rolls. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to make a thin crust.

Filling
1 8 oz package frozen chopped spinach
8 oz feta cheese
2 eggs
garlic powder and oregano to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Grease a cookie sheet and then sprinkle flour over it to avoid sticking. Mix the filling ingredients together in a medium size mixing bowl to make the filling.

Roll the dough out thin and cut them into squares. On each square put a ½ tsp of the filling mix and then roll into a pastry. Bake for 11 to 14 minutes until the dough is golden.

 

 

 

No comments: