Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dangerous Chocolate Cake In A Dangerous World

Everything is dangerous. We live in a dangerous world and the world has gotten even more dangerous with all the blogs out there spreading bald faced lies about anyone they feel like. (I have to exempt myself as a blogger from this statement. Whenever I blog about an individual, I send him/her the entry first to see if what I said after an interview is accurate. Then I make any necessary corrections before posting it. Not everyone is so scrupulous.) Nevertheless, you should verify the facts especially when you see statements that don’t seem possible. Very often they’re not.

This is an election year. We need to combat even more lies and scurrilous statements. Who has time to cook with all the campaigning that needs to be done? This year, I’m volunteering to campaign for Jan Schakowsky who’s running for re-election for Congresswoman in the 9th District of Illinois. I think that she's done a great job and deserves to be re-elected. On domestic policy, Jan Schakowsky has an excellent record of advocating for people who often lack the clout to advocate for themselves. On Israeli policy, Jan has a 100% rating from AIPAC and has been a staunch friend of Israel, voting yes on every bill supporting Israel that's come up since she's been in Congress and co-sponsoring several. You don't have to take my word for it. Check her record out further by going to her website http://www.janschakowsky.org/. 

I was going to make The Peace de Resistance recipe for 7-layer dinner, but there isn’t time. The election is too important. This calls for leftovers. I’ve often felt that whoever invented plastic containers and freezers deserves the Nobel Peace Prize.

Generally, I’m not a baker. When people are invited to my house for a meal and ask what I'd like them to bring, I invariably say, “dessert.” Nevertheless, with the time left over from reheating leftovers, I can make Dangerous Chocolate Cake. This recipe sounded so easy that I decided to try it. It’s a recipe my friend Pamela Stavinoga, author of Moments of Feelings, gave to me. She got it on the internet from k rosen.

Here it is. It’s called 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake. Preparation time is five minutes.

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add in the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.
The cake will rise over the top of the mug but don’t be alarmed.
Allow cooling a little, and tipping out onto a plate if desired.

Voila! The dangerous part, says k rosen, is that now chocolate cake is always less than 10 minutes away.





1 comment:

nanette said...

Hi Lisa,

I love your new blog. And the recipe for stuffed cabbage sounds yummy. Will have to try.

best always,
Nanette